What was your dangerous act of kindness
Is Altruism a Contradiction?
Rather than defining a kind or altruistic act in such a way that it cannot be accompanied by a feeling of goodness in the person performing the act, it could be better defined as an act, theirs Motivation or common sense Didn't even feel good Feeling good could be a random side effect, however, and even if the person knew that doing the action would make them feel good. It wasn't the "why", it wasn't the reason they did it.
You said in your first paragraph that your CEO states that feeling good is actually always a motivation for an altruistic act, but to support his point he seems to be arguing that feeling good is always accompanied by a good feeling. As mentioned in my first paragraph, being motivated to feel good about doing something is different than feeling good about doing something.
If I give $ 500 to charity, I might feel good. If I spent that $ 500 on an activity I enjoy, I could better feel , as if I had spent the money on charity. Obviously, it wasn't the reason I gave the money to charity (because if it had been my motivational reason I would have spent it on the other activity) although it was a consequence of the kind act. It couldn't one be the reasons I gave the money to charity. For example, I could and do have some ethical beliefs that, taken together, mean that I should give the $ 500 to charity, and nowhere among those beliefs is my good feeling mentioned.
I think the definition of kind or altruistic act as one whose motivation is not selfish is closer to what people actually mean when they use the term than an act that is not accompanied by a feeling of good (among other things) becomes. Even if all altruistic acts were accompanied by good feelings in the person performing the acts, it would not contradict this definition.
- What are the essential aspects of the economy
- Who has an influence on your values
- Who can see unlisted videos
- What is the Russian word for tight?
- How does the market define value
- Why do we kill animals
- What are some fear tactics
- Are related canker sores and fever blisters
- What makes the XPS 13 so good
- Why is my bamboo plant dying
- Can you evaluate the beliefs of your own religion
- Which programming language is sufficient
- What did Aemon know about Daenerys
- What do certain colors mean to you
- Is the blood under my nail
- Which artist sang the song Brooklyn Baby
- Are VPNs worth the cost?
- Physics Why are most forces conservative
- How are the relations between the Scandinavian nations
- Why are fluorescent LCD televisions cheap
- Where do Laeuse come from
- Taipei has a subway system
- Why are people so mean to religion
- Who was the most inspiring Roman emperor