What are potassium channels
English: potassium channel
Potassium channels are ion channels in the cell membrane that have a specific conductivity for potassium ions.
Potassium channels are transmembrane proteins of the cell that form a pore through the cell membrane. The pore is shaped so that it can remove the water molecules from the hydration shell of a potassium ion and take in the dehydrated potassium ions. As the pore continues, the potassium ions are rehydrated. Although the sodium ion is smaller than the potassium ion, it does not come through the potassium channel: the pore cannot remove the water molecules from its hydration shell. The movement of the potassium ions through the channel occurs passively by diffusion.
Like other ion channels, potassium channels can be voltage-activated (depending on the membrane potential of the cell) or not voltage-activated. For example, there are potassium channels that open upon a large increase in intracellular calcium ion concentration. Other potassium channels open through compressive or tensile forces acting on the cell membrane.
The voltage activated Potassium channels open when the membrane potential changes. If the membrane potential of a neuron is depolarized, the voltage-activated potassium channels are activated as soon as the threshold potential is exceeded. The voltage-activated sodium channels, however, open faster than the potassium channels. Therefore, the voltage-activated potassium channels are responsible for repolarization during the action potential.
There are 4 large groups of potassium channels
In addition, there are mechanosensitive potassium channels that are found in humans in the stereocilia of the inner ear.
- All the affordable bars in Whitefield Bangalore
- Disabled veterans receive free passes
- How much does an interlocking stone weigh
- Can we measure the volatility?
- How did Mark Zuckerberg start his business
- What are Ivy League schools
- Why did Carmelo Anthony choose number 7
- What are the principles of probability
- How can I learn ethical hacking quickly
- Ireland is a country
- Can you play the guitar
- Corn is a GMO in the US
- How do I work with business mentors
- How to solve x 5 0
- Was Lyft trading a scam?
- Why is 1 0 not defined 1
- What happened in world football in 2016
- Why do people believe in school uniforms
- What do people usually do on blogs
- Is today's education system job-oriented
- Is B12 good for the kidneys
- Which brand cell phones have good hardware
- Will Haydn's The Crooked Devil still be performed?
- Which Indian state is the most democratic
- What is average and above average IQ
- What are the biggest misunderstandings about Latin America
- How long can an orchid live
- Why does my uncle keep touching me
- How to note microtonality
- Are grass treatments dangerous
- Is Mozilla Firefox better than Safari
- Has Brandon Curry ever used steroids
- What is an indivisible project