Offers USPS discounts based on volume
Packages and shipping weights
Note: Adding multiple package types is only available for stores in the US and Canada. If you are outside of the US and Canada, you can only add one preferred packaging type.
When you place an order, you'll need to select a package that matches the type you want.
You can set your preferred packaging types on the settings page Shipping and delivery or on the side Fulfillment save an order in your Shopify admin area. Most shipping companies charge by size and weight. It is therefore important that your packaging stays small. If you want to buy a shipping label for your shipment, you can choose which of your saved packages you want to use.
Do you want to save time and money on shipping? With Shopify Shipping you can buy and print shipping labels from your Shopify admin.
Supported packaging types
You can use the following types of packaging to ship your products with Shopify shipping labels:
The shipping restrictions for packages are set by the shipping company. The circumference refers to the dimensions in the middle of the package and is calculated as 2x width + 2x height. The length is measured on the longest side of the package.
- UPS: Package length plus girth can be up to 165 inches (419 cm), but the package length cannot exceed 108 inches (270 cm).
- USPS: Package length plus girth must not exceed 108 inches (270 cm).
- Canada Post: No dimension (height, width, length) may exceed 2 m (78.7 inches) and the maximum package length plus circumference is 3 m (118 inches). Canada Post has different minimum box and soft packaging requirements for domestic and international deliveries.
- DHL: The maximum dimensions for length, width and height are 47.2 x 31.5 x 31.5 inches (120 x 80 x 80 cm).
- Sendle: Please note the prices and services page for volume restrictions from Sendle.
- FedEx: - With the FedEx Ground Service you can send parcels weighing up to 150 lbs (68 kg) and up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length or a package length plus a circumference of 165 inches (419 cm).
- With the FedEx Home Delivery Service, you can send packages weighing up to 70 lbs (31.75 kg) and up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length or a package length plus a circumference of 165 inches (419 cm).
A padded envelope, a bubble mailer or a plastic sleeve (Tyvek or Poly). Parcels thicker than 3/4 inch are not eligible for USPS First Class Mail rates.
A large, flat envelope no more than 3/4 of an inch thick.
Note: Canada Post does not support envelopes through Shopify.
Most shipping service providers offer flat rate packaging. These packages are not calculated based on size or weight, but rather a pre-determined package size and shipping speed that you have selected from the options available from your shipping service provider.
If your store is based in the US, you can request a free USPS shipping kit to get started. The Domestic Flat Rate Variety Pack includes small (1), medium (2) and large (1) boxes that you can use to ship both national and international orders.
If your shop is based in Canada, visit Canada Post's Packaging Best Practices Guide for more packaging tips.
Note: If you ship internationally with CanadaPost and shipping rates are not displayed when you place an order, your packaging may not meet the requirements defined by CanadaPost. You can find more information at Parcel services that ship to the US and international destinations.
Unsupported package types
You can't use the following package types to ship your products with Shopify shipping labels:
A flat envelope or letter thinner than 1/4 inch.
A package whose overall dimensions (sum of the length, width and height of the package) are greater than 84 inches.
A non-rectangular package.
Free packing material
Many shipping service providers offer free packaging for certain shipping services. Although there are no packaging costs, you may need to create a free account with the appropriate shipping company so that they can send you the packaging material. The following Shopify Shipping carriers offer free packaging:
General weight information for products
Give the exact weight for your products. So your customers will always be charged the correct amount for shipping costs. It also ensures that you will also be charged the correct amount for the USPS, DHL Express and Canada Post shipping labels purchased through Shopify.
Note: If you don't add weight to your products, the value will default to 0.1 lb. This can cause your shipping costs to be incorrect.
Unless you have a scale for accurate measurements, you can use the following general guidelines as a guide:
|Less than 8 oz||Light objects such as jewelry, watches, cell phone cases, light clothing (e.g. a scarf), accessories, socks or underwear. These items can be sent in a poly mailer or a bubble envelope.|
|8-16 oz||Most items of clothing (e.g. a T-shirt or blouse) or a watch with a case. Most of these items can be shipped in a poly mailer, bubble envelope, or small box.|
|1-2 lb||Heavier items of clothing (e.g. a jacket or suit pants), a cell phone in the box, sneakers or light items that must be sent in a small shipping box.|
|2-3 lb||Jeans or small electronics (such as a small camera). These items can be sent in a small shipping box.|
|3-4 lb||A set of building blocks for children, a couple of paperback books, men's shoes or a large camera with accessories. These items can be sent in a small shipping box.|
|4-5 lb||Medium to large items (e.g. a full bedding set or a box with a puzzle). These items can be shipped in a medium sized shipping box.|
|5-6 lb||Individual cooking accessories, small household appliances, or packaged board games. These items can be shipped in a medium sized shipping box. Some larger books can also be packaged differently (e.g. in a bubble envelope).|
|6-7 lb||Large toys (for example a doll), work boots or small sports equipment. These items can be shipped in a medium sized shipping box.|
|7-8 lb||Cookware sets or medium-sized household appliances (e.g. a toaster). These items can be shipped in medium or large shipping boxes.|
|8-9 lb||Great radios or DVD players. These items can be shipped in a large shipping box.|
|9-10 lb||Sets of items (e.g. several items of clothing or books) or home decor. These items can be shipped in a medium or large shipping carton. Some larger books can also be packaged differently (e.g. in a bubble envelope).|
After adding weights, check the weights and dimensions of your shipping bags and boxes. Most shipping company boxes have the dimensions printed on them. For more information on adding packaging types, see Add a packaging type.
Note: The specified dimensions can be internal dimensions. It is therefore important that you check the external dimensions.
Your standard package dimensions will be sent to your shipping service provider along with the weight of your order in order to calculate the shipping costs for your customer. The dimensional weight is determined by the shipping service provider based on the height, width and depth of your packages. Dimensional weight applies to some shipping services when the total length x width x height of a package exceeds 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).
If your dimensional weight is greater than the weight of your order, your customer will be charged for the dimensional weight of their order. If you think that the shipping costs generated are too high or too low, you can adjust your calculated shipping costs accordingly.
Dimensional weight calculations vary depending on the shipping service provider. Contact your applicable shipping company for details on dimensional weight guidelines.
Shipping companies with dimensional weight guidelines:
Shipping companies with no dimensional weight guidelines:
To set your standard package dimensions, please read the article below Configure your standard package dimensions.
- Which programming language is sufficient
- Are Green Berets Marines
- How was Wells Fargo caught
- How and what can be deduced about people
- When should you stop the startup
- What would Priyanka Chopra's next film be?
- Are enemies of Greece and North Macedonia
- How does a Rankine cycle work
- How can we make Lifi Technology outdoors
- What is the leadership process
- Chemical reactions change the color of matter
- How can I stop Alexa from listening
- Can an ant kill an elephant
- Method overload in Java
- How do I start my own bitcoin
- Are immunocompromised people more contagious
- My girlfriend told me I was gay
- You'll find it hot at 26 degrees Celsius
- What is steel framework
- When did people start writing plays?
- Is it always fair
- What is gradient-free optimization
- Can propane be used for cooking
- What is faster beta alpha or gamma
- How did Whatsapp get to early users
- Can I download videos with Jio SIM
- Does face recognition work in reverse
- Why doesn't Joker publish in Varanasi
- Being able to train makes you stronger
- What were the books written by Hippocrates
- Why are Dutch people so feminine
- JDK can be downloaded on Android
- Feminism has always been against men