What is rotigotine
RotigotineDrug groupsDopamine agonists Rotigotine is an active ingredient from the group of dopamine agonists with dopaminergic properties in the central nervous system. It is used in the form of a transdermal patch to treat Parkinson's disease and restless legs syndrome. The patch is applied once a day at the same time of day for 24 hours and continuously releases the active ingredient through the skin into the bloodstream. The job should be changed daily. The most common possible adverse effects include nausea, vomiting, application site reactions, drowsiness, dizziness, and headache.
synonymous: Rotigotinum, N-0437, N-0923Products
Rotigotine is commercially available as a transdermal patch in various strengths (Neupro®). It was approved in Switzerland in 2006 as the first TTS for Parkinson's therapy.Structure and properties
Rotigotine (C.19H25NOS, Mr = 315.5 g / mol) is an aminotetralin and thiophene derivative that is structurally related to dopamine. It has a non-ergoline structure and lies as pure S.-Enantiomer before. Rotigotine is lipophilic, has a low molecular weight and is therefore suitable for transdermal administration. It has high first pass metabolism and low oral bioavailability. Therefore, no oral dosage forms are available.
Rotigotine (ATC N04BC09) has dopaminergic properties. The effects are based on binding to various dopamine receptors in the central nervous system. Rotigotine has the highest binding affinity for the D3 receptor. The active ingredient is continuously released from the patch through the skin into the bloodstream over 24 hours.
For the treatment of Parkinson's disease and restless legs syndrome.dosage
According to the specialist information. The patch is applied once a day, regardless of meals, at the same time of day and remains on the skin for 24 hours. The job should be changed daily. The patch should be placed on clean, dry and uninjured skin. Possible application sites are, for example, the abdomen, thighs, hips or upper arm.
See also → Transdermal patches.Contraindications
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Severe hepatic insufficiency
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the product information sheet.Interactions
Rotigotine is metabolized by various CYP isoenzymes. Drug interactions have been reported with dopamine antagonists, levodopa, central depressant drugs, and alcohol.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include nausea, vomiting, application site reactions, drowsiness, dizziness, and headache.see also
Dopamine agonists, restless legs syndrome, transdermal patches, anti-parkinsonian drugsliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, D, USA)
- Chen J.J., Swope D.M., Dashtipour K., Lyons K.E. Transdermal rotigotine: a clinically innovative dopamine-receptor agonist for the management of Parkinson's disease. Pharmacotherapy, 2009, 29 (12), 1452-67 Pubmed
- Reading P. Treating restless legs syndrome with rotigotine. Br J Hosp Med (Lond), 2010, 71 (4), 216-9 Pubmed
- Sanford M., Scott L.J. Rotigotine transdermal patch: a review of its use in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. CNS Drugs, 2011, 25 (8), 699-719 Pubmed
- Sixel-Döring F., Trenkwalder C. Rotigotine transdermal delivery for the treatment of restless legs syndrome. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 2010, 11 (4), 649-56 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on April 12th, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- What technical field does DJI drones do
- Do you prefer hockey or football
- How can we make Lifi Technology outdoors
- Who could start World War III?
- What is the name of the sea monster
- North Koreans are brainwashed because of their leaders
- Which Adobe application should I specialize in?
- How do you rewrite your short stories
- Why is astigmatism undercorrected
- How can we use only in English
- When do our eyes develop fully
- How did the First World War start 3
- Should teenagers worry about getting fat
- Who Can Claim Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
- How much does a Eurocopter cost
- How often do nasal polyps have to be operated on?
- How does ice absorb heat
- Can act without energy
- How do I find affordable moving companies
- How would you describe the Belgian mentality?
- What do startups give the donors
- What does the word Hawaii mean
- What is a dogma in life
- How do you get staph infection
- What is the big crack
- Why is marzipan always shaped like fruit
- How do I redeem Nectar points online
- How can you trust Allah Almighty
- Is scientific knowledge superior to religious knowledge
- Why doesn't my cat catch a mouse?
- How has the loss of your virginity changed you
- Why did Ike Turner beat Tina Turner