Will loneliness destroy a person
Loneliness makes you self-centered - and vice versa
Feeling lonely now and then, separated and isolated from other people, this feeling is part of life. A representative survey recently revealed that four out of five Germans feel lonely at least sometimes - regardless of whether they were 18 years old like the youngest respondents or 70 like the oldest. According to the survey, loneliness was a constant companion for every eighth person.
Three psychologists from the University of Chicago have now looked at what happens in the long run to people who often feel so abandoned. John Cacioppo, who works as a professor at the Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, and two colleagues examined data from almost 230 test subjects who had been questioned repeatedly for over eleven years. They were between 50 and 68 years old at the start of their studies, and between 61 and 79 years at the end.
Over this period of eleven years, the loneliness mainly led to the test subjects becoming more self-centered, the scientists write in the journal “Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin”“. That doesn't sound particularly surprising, and it wasn't for the researchers either. If you feel lonely and have less fulfilling relationships with other people, you inevitably have to limit yourself to yourself.
Those who revolve around themselves a lot tend to get lonely
However, the researchers also found the opposite effect: those who were more self-centered than others and circled around themselves a lot at the beginning of the study also felt more lonely years later.
So there seems to be a direct link between feeling isolated from others and a tendency to be overly concerned with oneself, both ways. Once triggered, these two unfortunately fuel each other. "Those who become more self-centered run the risk of being stuck in the feeling of loneliness in the long term," the scientists conclude. And those who are lonely tend to revolve more and more around themselves as a result.
- Was BTS Boy With Luv a flop
- How do you trade volatility 1
- Teaching Scottish Gaelic schools in Scotland
- Is deleting Facebook useful or not
- How reliable is the Acorns investment service
- What brings you to Seattle
- Is there a philosophy behind everything
- How can I get astrological advice
- Which city is the postcode p0b 2o2
- What qualities should a good athlete have?
- What is bat
- How Uber Drivers Manipulate Tariffs
- Killing traditional artist innovations in game design
- What does karaoke help with
- Is allergy immunotherapy effective
- Why am I studying textile technology
- Which websites offer free courses in C ++
- What is the best blog for scrum
- Should a humidifier run all night
- What is the name of SnCl2
- What is the greatest mistake in science
- What is your trading strategy for stocks
- Robot 2 0 is released in India
- How is Staphylococcus aureus infection diagnosed
- Why does Guinness taste better in Ireland?
- What are the benefits of joining YPO
- What are ribs
- Are literary agents really necessary
- Verified accounts are blocked on Quora
- Who is the most famous Asian American
- Where should I put that in 100,000
- Who was Mandela