What if America falls in Europe
Scholar: "Less Risk of Nuclear War After Trump Withdrawal"
According to Noam Chomsky, "the most dangerous government in world history" was at work under President Donald Trump. There is no other political figure in history who has devoted its main efforts to trying to destroy the prospects for human life on earth, the US scholar told the Bremen-based Weser-Kurier: "Not Genghis Khan, not Attila the Hun, nobody I can think of. "
Trump was unique, added Chomsky. In his term of office that ended on Wednesday, he worked very hard to maximize the use of fossil fuels and to remove the regulations that have somewhat mitigated their effects. "It was a race to catastrophe. And the Trump administration knew exactly what it was doing."
Chomsky (92) is a professor emeritus of linguistics, one of the world's best-known left-wing intellectuals and one of the most prominent critics of US politics since the 1960s. According to him, the threat of nuclear war has also increased significantly in recent years.
"There was an arms control regime that had been painstakingly built over almost 60 years," said Chomsky. "But Trump dismantled it. It's almost completely gone." In addition, the recently divorced US president - but also others - initiated the development of new and far more dangerous nuclear weapons. Combined with provocative actions in many parts of the world and a series of unjustified attacks on Iran, this has greatly increased the risk of nuclear war.
President Trump leaving the White House (on Wednesday): Dismantling the arms control regime?
Since Trump gave up control of US nuclear weapons when he left office, the world has "probably become a bit safer," added Chomsky. Because Trump was unpredictable. "It would have been possible for him to suddenly say, 'Okay, I'll do it!' In a fit of psychotic anxiety."
Chomsky described the first steps of the new US President Joe Biden as encouraging. But there are many problems that have to be overcome. Biden's own programs were nowhere near enough to deal with two major problems threatening human survival: the growing threat of nuclear war and the environmental disaster.
AR / ml (epd, Weserkurier)
- How can I apply for a scholarship
- What fundamental things should every American have?
- Can we enter CEG over JEE
- How long will space last
- Funny marriage vows
- How to study international relations affectively
- How can an iPhone charge by itself?
- Who is Hillary Clinton's top aide
- How do I buy a belt for a grinder
- How are snowstorms classified or named
- What is meant by jihad?
- What is the point of circumcision
- Who leads a Navy SEAL attack team
- What does calibration mean
- What did Chris Cuomo say
- What's your rating of Nintendo Labo
- What's the best alternative to MyHeritage
- Are marshmallows made from pigs
- How to photograph a sunset
- Russia and China are America's traditional enemies
- What happens to an empty injection
- What's the best brioche recipe
- What are Ivy League schools
- How is a thermometer an analog device