How was your first submarine dive
More than 100 years under water - the wreck of the German submarine UC-47 is being examined
The UC-47 submarine sank 56 ships with torpedoes and mines during the First World War. The submarine was launched in 1916, and UC-47's mission ended again in November 1917. During its 13th mission, it was sunk by a Royal Navy patrol boat off the coast of Yorkshire in north-east England.
The British surprised the submarine when it surfaced and rammed it. When UC-47 went on a dive, the Navy sent a few depth charges afterwards. The submarine sank and the crew found their grave in it. To date, it lies 20 nautical miles off the British coast at 50 meters on the seabed.
So far, little was known about the condition of the submarine. Now archaeologists have examined the wreck for the first time using high-resolution sonar and diving robots. The researchers were amazed at the good condition of UC-47, which has been there for more than 100 years. The traces of his last fight can still be made out. The underwater archaeologists discovered the gaping hole in an explosion from the port side - presumably from a depth charge.
The investigation of the wreck came about because a new pipeline is being built that will cross the sea area where the submarine is moored. On the sea floor around UC-47, some ejected parts can be seen, including a torpedo tube.
The Germans were particularly hard hit by the loss of UC-47. "Because of these successes, UC-47 was considered a particularly lucky submarine in the German Navy," writes Nadja Podbregar for Damals.de. The British archaeologists now want to find out whether an exciting rumor about the submarine is true:
Immediately after the sinking of UC-47, British divers are said to have visited the wreck and recovered valuable information such as code books and maps. Further recordings with diving robots from the submarine could show whether this story is true - or whether it is a sailor's thread.
- What is the longest living being on earth
- Why castables with mobility
- Can we communicate with trees
- What is an unexpected danger in Bulgaria
- Tetanus injections are important
- What is a hit power hunter
- Is vegetable a countable noun
- How do I get my ASVAB score
- Is that a HIIT workout
- Does smoking weed actually get you up
- Why is red sauce called sauce
- Where did Batman learn Kryptonian
- Can a virtual assistant really do anything?
- What a good cryptocurrency exchange must do
- How are bananas made
- How am I supposed to see other people
- Is it worth using the Kali Linux platform
- Who designed the Louvre Museum in France
- What food defines the state of Nebraska
- Where can I learn furniture design online
- Analytical philosophy is all stuff
- What did Homer write
- Why did Zidane come across Materazzi
- Where can I learn OBIEE online training
- In what magical ability did Dumbledore excel
- What makes an advertisement unfair?
- Sound similar to Persian and French
- Role playing games are still popular
- Is Meghan Markle still in business?
- What requires good planning
- Give narcissist close
- Who sang the song Schools Out in 1972
- What Makes Users Upload to YouTube
- How good are student jobs in Karlsruhe