Why are Harry Potter books so addicting?
Afraid of harry potter?
Bookstores sell the coveted novel long after the store has closed, and hold readings and parties. Postmen ring at an unusual hour - JK Rowling's books in their luggage - and children in disguise stand in line to get their hands on the longed-for, over 760-page reading. On the first day alone, two million copies are delivered and opened.
Some parents worry
But not everyone is happy too. Some parents worry that their children will get addicted to the Harry Potter novels. And other adults even believe that the books harm young readers and make them sick.
Fear and nightmares
A pedagogy professor at the University of Hanover claims that he should have thrown up with the disgusting descriptions in the novels. Snail choking is really not that nice. Professor Reinhard Franzke is even convinced that after reading the stories children would be afraid, have nightmares, no longer be so nice to other young people and get worse at school.
Crazy opponents Especially sad: Two years ago Harry Potter opponents in Pittsburgh (USA) even burned a pile of JK Rowling's novels along with other supposedly dangerous books, CDs and videos at a stake.
Harry Potter not dangerous
But fear not, most adults don't think like the Potter opponents. And almost all scientists explain that Harry is no better or worse than fairy tales like "Cinderella" or fantasy books like "Lord of the Rings". The expert Massimo Introvigne, who deals with new religions in his work, also shares this opinion. He is also sure that young readers know very well that the stories of Harry Potter are only made up and take place in the fantasy world.
Little magician, great role model
Nevertheless, the imaginary little magician can of course be a good role model in reality: Because in the books a distinction between good and bad, says Introvigne. Nevertheless, it would be shown that the good characters are constantly in danger of succumbing to evil - and that they must constantly fight against it. You sometimes feel the same way when someone annoys you and you want to annoy them. Though you know full well that this is not right.
Reading instead of watching TV
Introvigne and many others also think it's great that so many of you have rediscovered reading and no longer watch TV as much. He even knows that from his own experience. Even his eight-year-old daughter now prefers to read Harry Potter than to sit in front of the telly.
Your parents help out when it's too scary
The scientist recommends that your parents talk to you about the books. If you don't understand something or something particularly creeps you. But the same applies to you: if you get scared while or after reading, go to mom and dad and talk to them about the stories.
Reading breaks for headaches
Finally, a tip: Even if it's incredibly exciting and the book seems to be stuck to your hands - take small breaks in between! An American doctor has found that bookworms can get headaches when they read fascinated, tense and incessantly. This is not only the case with Harry Potter, but with every super exciting read.
More on the subject at GEOlino.de
More on the subject on the Internet
Hinz & Kunzt is the street magazine for the Hamburg homeless. Here you can find out more about their lives, problems and why these newspapers exist.
- Why do firefighters burn down houses
- Why did Karna not use the Bhargavastra
- How are the leaders of Africa selected
- Isnt Womens Day Against Gender Equality
- Lives a painting What is your brush
- What is the platform to learn CSS
- Which professions require decisions in fractions of a second?
- How can I add Robots TXT file
- What does the Japanese word tsundoku mean
- Should I choose male or PGDM
- Is cholangiocarcinoma genetic
- Where is StartX located on Stanfords campus
- What are some ghost towns in Maine
- What is the difference between latex and resin
- What makes a brook a brook
- Why do doctors need to learn English
- What is AcONa in chemistry
- What do people from Massachusetts call themselves
- What do you mean by speaking
- Did Saya comment on Sukla Yajurveda
- What is negative stress
- Are you a Holocaust believer?
- Which is best Bentley or Rolls Royce
- After an appendix operation, I am allowed to smoke