What are ribs
Perhaps Eve arose from Adam's rib
Perhaps Eve arose from Adam's rib
Every vertebrate has the elongated curved bones that pull down or forwards and thus encompass the chest on both sides: the ribs. In fish, these occur in the entire trunk region, the amphibians have small ribs or they are completely absent.
Every vertebrate has elongated curved bones that pull down or forwards and thus encompass the chest on both sides: the ribs. In fish, these occur in the entire trunk region, the amphibians have small ribs or they are completely absent. And in humans, the ribs are only present in the thoracic area, the lumbar area remains free.
Real and fake ribs
The ribs are built in pairs, mirror images, are articulated to the thoracic spine and form the bony chest with the breastbone. In humans, however, not all pairs of ribs are cartilaginous with the rib cage. Only the first seven pairs are connected to the sternum and are therefore also referred to as "real" pairs of ribs. Ribs eight to ten are called "false" ribs - they are only indirectly connected to the sternum.
Function as naming
Many bones are named for their appearance - but not the rib. If you look at the origin of the word rib, you notice that function was perceived as more important than appearance. The translation from Old High German is Rippe. But the translation from the Greek shows the function: The Greek word eréphein means “to cover”, “to cover” or “roof” or “cover” in German. Accordingly, the ribs, as part of the chest, form a protective shell and cover for important organs such as the heart, lungs and liver.
Mysterious 13th rib
There is also a myth about the ribs. This says that women have one more rib than men, i.e. 13 ribs instead of 12. The origin of the myth is traced back to the creation of women in the biblical story about Adam and Eve: Adam gave a rib to create Eve . Other myths also address the creation of a human being from bones, for example Dionysus was born from Zeus' thigh bone.
However, the scientists agree on one thing: a 13th rib is rare. But how rare is difficult to say. We are talking about six percent of the population or one in 200 people. But the researchers are not of the opinion that the number of bones comes from the biblical history of origin. Rather, they see the superfluous rib as a holdover from evolution - a kind of identification of our ancestry from animals that had many more ribs than we did. If you want to know its number, you need an X-ray machine, because scanning is not possible.
- How can a Guinness draft work
- What's the vice of an INFJ
- Can owls fly backwards
- How many shares does Zynga have outstanding?
- Did Romulus or Remus die?
- Caffeine shrinks your genitals
- How do you splice wires
- Have tractors tracking systems
- Is AngularJS better than reacting
- How do you swear in Portuguese
- Are performance and drug enhancement legal
- How can technology disrupt the banking industry
- What is the propaganda in 1984
- What does Frosty the Snowman look like
- How safe are Honda cars
- What are the best home inkjet printers
- Which country is best for biochemistry
- Can my landlord search my belongings
- Anime music can be used for motivation
- The best nootropic is not good sleep
- Can I unlock my iPhone for free?
- What are some natural resources in Denmark
- Why are snakes so cold