Can marijuana cause depersonalization
Can cannabis cause psychosis?
Is there a connection between cannabis use and developing psychosis? Psychosis is a state of mind that manifests itself in delusions, hallucinations, cognitive disorders, and behavioral disorders. It is well documented that cannabis can trigger acute psychotic symptoms, especially in high doses. This refers to temporary and dose-dependent symptoms such as confusion, thought disorders, emotional disorders, depersonalization and paranoia, which can be traced back to intoxication with the intoxicant and which disappear on their own after the cannabinoids have been excreted from the body.
The question of whether cannabis is a causal risk factor for the development of persistent schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders is more controversial. Or is there a reverse causality? Conversely, is it the mental illness or the disposition to it that makes one susceptible to smoking the hemp herb? Do the sick try to treat themselves with the cannabis? Or is there a third factor that is the actual risk factor?
The scientific community became aware of the subject when Andréasson et al. published the results of a cohort study in 1987 showing an increased risk of schizophrenia. Numerous other studies were subsequently carried out with similar results. The current data suggests that cannabis can actually trigger psychosis in sensitive (vulnerable) people. However, it only represents a risk factor in the complex development of the disease and is not to be understood as the main cause. The exact relationship between cannabis, psychosis and predisposition is the subject of discussion. It should also be noted that many smokers have consumed cannabis for years without ever developing psychosis. The risk appears to be dose and age dependent. The more people smoke and the younger they are, the higher the risk. The mechanism by which the disease develops is not fully understood. Cannabinoids like Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) trigger changes in the neurotransmitter and dopamine systems. In summary, there is evidence of a causal relationship, but scientifically definitive evidence is difficult to provide and many questions remain open. Nevertheless, it would be desirable for sensitive people to refrain from frequent consumption of cannabis, especially at a young age.see also
Dronabinol, cannabis, risk factorsliterature
- Andréasson S., Allebeck P., Engström A., Rydberg U. Cannabis and schizophrenia. A longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts, Lancet, 1987, 26, 2 (8574), 1483-6 Pubmed
- Arseneault L., Cannon M., Witton J., Murray R.M. Causal association between cannabis and psychosis: examination of the evidence. Br J Psychiatry, 2004, 184, 110-7 Pubmed
- Ben Amar M., Potvin S. Cannabis and psychosis: what is the link? J Psychoactive Drugs, 2007, 39 (2), 131-42 Pubmed
- D'Souza D.C. Cannabinoids and psychosis. Int Rev Neurobiol, 2007, 78, 289-326 Pubmed
- Drewe M., Drewe J., Riecher-Rössler A. Cannabis and risk of psychosis. Swiss Med Wkly, 2004, 134 (45-46), 659-63 Pubmed
- Fergusson D.M., Poulton R., Smith P.F., Boden J.M. Cannabis and psychosis. BMJ, 2006, 332 (7534), 172-5 Pubmed
- Henquet C., Di Forti M., Morrison P., Kuepper R., Murray R.M. Gene-environment interplay between cannabis and psychosis. Schizophr Bull, 2008, 34 (6), 1111-21 Pubmed
- Henquet C., Van Os J. The coherence of the evidence linking cannabis with psychosis. Psychol Med, 2008, 38 (3), 461-2 Pubmed
- Linszen D., van Amelsvoort T. Cannabis and psychosis: an update on course and biological plausible mechanisms. Curr Opin Psychiatry, 2007, 20 (2), 116-20 Pubmed
- McLaren J.A., Silins E., Hutchinson D., Mattick R.P., Hall W. Assessing evidence for a causal link between cannabis and psychosis: a review of cohort studies. Int J Drug Policy, 2010, 21 (1), 10-9 Pubmed
- Sewell R.A., Ranganathan M., D'Souza D.C. Cannabinoids and psychosis. Int Rev Psychiatry, 2009, 21 (2), 152-62 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. With many thanks to Richard Meier, Central Apotheke Düdingen, for the photography.
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on February 16, 2015.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- How do I block incoming VoIP calls
- How do you feel about self-promotion
- Who uses IMDb
- Does global warming affect the start of the flight
- Why do you hate Vietnam
- What are the correct uses of though
- What is the range of a wavelength
- How does the guacamole restaurant stay fresh?
- How are ammonia and its salts built up?
- What is data protection in information technology
- How do you define help
- What is the square root of 64?
- What is meant by 2n terms
- What are the topics in Pulp Fiction
- What do scientists say about spiritual enlightenment
- Why is every male gymnast torn apart
- Who has an influence on your values
- What is the starting torque of a motor
- What does Suvarna mean
- Fought Mexico in World War II
- What are solar energy parameters
- What is the movie Martyrs about
- What makes a big quesadilla
- Most financial firms prefer young interns