What's your rating of Ronnie Osullivan
"A bit like in Germany" : Snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan likes the peace and quiet at the World Cup
Ronnie O’Sullivan knows a lot about records. And that's why new records only give him a shrug. His first round match against the hopelessly overwhelmed Thai Thepchaiya Un-Nooh at the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield lasted 108 minutes, then O’Sullivan's 10-1 victory was certain. It was the shortest match in world championship history.
“Records don't mean much to me. I'm not really worried about it either, ”O’Sullivan stated soberly after his success. In the round of 16 from Friday he will meet Ding Junhui from China, the task should be a little more demanding for the 44-year-old.
[If you want to have all the latest news live on your mobile phone, we recommend our completely redesigned app, which you can download here for Apple and Android devices.]
The fact that he is still favored in his next match has to do with the special circumstances at this World Cup. Since the second day of the tournament on Saturday, no more spectators have been admitted to the Crucible Theater. Before the World Cup, O’Sullivan spoke out clearly against fans in the arena, making a comparison with “laboratory rats” and even not ruling out his early departure from the tournament.
Now, however, the signs have changed. "I prefer that because I'm not that sociable type," he told the BBC. The competition is also aware of this: “It now feels a bit like training for him,” said world number two Neil Robertson from Australia and added: “The audience's expectations are always very high for him. Now he can approach the matter much more relaxed and that should be good for him. "
In fact, O’Sullivan has struggled again and again in Sheffield over the years. In 2019 he failed at the beginning of an amateur after an outstanding season. Since his last title win in 2013 - the fifth overall - O’Sullivan reached the final again the following year, after which he won a maximum of two tournament matches at the season highlight. Also because snooker no longer means everything to the Englishman: "I don't play so much anymore because I'm trying to enjoy my life more," he said on Monday.
"As if you were driving through London and nobody was there"
It's a lot easier these days in Sheffield. O’Sullivan, for example, spends the time leading up to the match against Ding at home, where he can relax and prepare for the next opponent at his own practice table. “It's good for me that I don't have to be stuck in one place and have to wait. That would be my worst nightmare, ”he said.
O’Sullivan doesn't mind at all that life in Great Britain has become quieter in times of the coronavirus. “It feels a bit like in Germany, less hectic,” he said. And for the special atmosphere at the World Cup, he draws an interesting comparison: “It's like driving through London and nobody is there.” All of this is “very, very strange”, even if he is ultimately paid for it, “a to sink a few balls ”.
If there were so many that there would be enough for a sixth world title, that would not be another record. But O’Sullivan would be close to Stephen Hendry’s record of seven but one. It is quite possible that that would mean a little more to him than a quickie on lap one.
- What are the advantages of anonymity
- Granite harms people
- What is a corporate CRM
- Where will my Kindle book be downloaded from?
- A fixed-term investment is an advantage
- Are worth half a dollar
- What does bitrate mean for music
- How did Mozart influence the Renaissance?
- Club Factory betrayed someone
- How does LastPass protect my privacy?
- How smoking causes atherosclerosis
- What are AVL databases
- Can work a relationship with an alcoholic
- Why is ethanol a bad idea
- What is the quality of the football manager
- Can Anonymous hack Donald Trump's online presence
- What are the skills that distinguish paralegal and attorney?
- A liberal god would be ideal
- Which girl did Varun Dhawan marry?
- What are the best cashmere tours
- What does Alok Kejriwal feel about Facebook
- If 13x 34 70 what is x
- Will people buy a 6000 Mac
- Is Indian Express versus BJP
- Adderall causes schizophrenia
- How is winter in Raleigh USA
- Only hires Snapchat Stanford graduates
- What are some ghost towns in Maine
- How can I prevent ideas from becoming frozen
- Why is science not a belief
- Does your zodiac sign match your personality
- How do others talk about you
- What are some cool php tricks
- What are the benefits of using hydropower