What causes extreme numbness and migraines
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
Migraines: Think about a stroke if you have unusual and persistent seizures
Not only do migraineurs suffer from the recurring headache attacks and nausea, but some of them are also at increased risk of stroke.
Not only do migraineurs suffer from the recurring headache attacks and nausea, but some of them are also at increased risk of stroke. The risk is slightly higher, especially in migraineurs with aura. If other risk factors, such as nicotine consumption or, in women, the use of estrogen-based contraceptives, are added, these further increase the risk of stroke. The symptoms of a migraine with aura may be similar to those of a stroke. "If those affected notice unfamiliar neurological symptoms with an aura or if aura symptoms such as sensory, visual or speech disorders suddenly turn into headaches and facial pain, a stroke should definitely be considered," says Prof. Martin Dichgans from the German Society for Neurology (DGN) in Berlin. "Even if the headache does not subside after taking medication and symptoms such as paralysis, articulation disorders or visual disturbances persist longer than usual, you should be examined quickly in a neurological station - preferably in a stroke unit - to be on the safe side." High blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, high blood lipid levels, obesity and sedentary lifestyle increase the risk of stroke.
An aura refers to neurological symptoms that typically precede the actual migraine pain for around 30 minutes. They are characterized by a gradual increase and a slow decrease and usually resolve completely - usually within an hour. The most common are visual disturbances that occur on one side on the left or right in the field of vision. Auras in the form of sensory disturbances on the arms or legs are somewhat rarer. "Typical for a stroke are symptoms that suddenly set in, such as numbness, weakness or paralysis of the face, arm or leg, usually on one side of the body, a sudden speech disorder, as well as sudden dizziness or loss of balance occasionally in combination with headaches", adds the expert from the University of Munich Hospital.
So far, migraine auras can neither be influenced by drugs nor by a certain behavior, if they occur acutely. Painkillers and special migraine medications - such as triptans - cannot shorten an aura. They should not be used until the aura has subsided. “The main focus of treatment should be on the prevention of attacks - especially in patients with frequent migraines that occur at least once a month. This includes, for example, maintaining a regular sleep-wake cycle, a balanced diet and the use of relaxation methods and acupuncture, ”adds Prof. Dichgans. “It is not known whether prophylaxis and optimal acute treatment of migraine attacks can reduce the risk of stroke. Migraine patients should not use estrogen-based contraceptives or smoke - especially if they suffer from migraines with aura. "
Migraines are one of the most common neurological diseases. About 12 to 14% of all women and 6 to 8% of all men in Germany suffer from it. Most women suffer their first migraine attack between the ages of 12 and 16 and men between the ages of 16 and 20.
The DGN press release is released for publication provided the source is indicated. When using it in the print area, please refer to the DGN information portal, www.neurologen-im-netz.de. In the case of online publication, we request a link to the website.
- Which ingredients make a bit sour taste?
- Yemen would soon be peaceful
- 172 is a prime number
- Signs that you are a bad programmer
- Which countries already have refugees from climate change?
- What are the types of SEO
- Which words are in space
- How are Azerbaijanis welcomed in Turkey?
- Are the IIT Guwahati Hostel buildings safe?
- Why should electrons have an opposite spin?
- What is Silodal 8 medicine
- Is a monsoon dry or humid
- What is your answer
- Is logically the same to be creative
- What if the world didn't make music up
- Jellyfish have a mind
- How do you hear in silence
- What's your favorite Christmas novel
- Which are the best education portals worldwide
- Why do you hate racism
- What are healthy facts about beer
- What was the gay culture like in the 1990s
- Will Facebook resume sending SMS messages
- Are vans the best casual shoe
- Has anyone ever sneaked out of VIT
- How does spiritual medical treatment work sometimes
- What would a pirate not say
- Have you ever broken your own heart
- Pakistan has improved under the rule of Nawaz Sharif
- What are recipes for cooking pork loin
- Why do I become unproductive on vacation
- What is Sir Isaac Newton known for?
- What kind of bond connects two monosaccharides