Karachi becomes a province
City of lights11.6 million people live in the port city in southern Pakistan. The largest metropolis in the country repeatedly suffers from violence and ethnic-religious conflicts.
Karachi - port city in southern Pakistan (& copy NASA / JPL-Caltech)
overviewThe Karachi metropolitan region today has a population of 11.81 million. Almost every sixteenth Pakistani lives in Karachi. The rapid growth of the port city from the 1950s and its more recent history are closely linked to the political development of Pakistan.
The division of the Indian subcontinent in 1947 marked a turning point for the city in the south of the country. Shortly thereafter, not only did the population double to one million people. The composition of urban society was also redesigned. Karachi was unable to cope with the influx of refugees from central India or the later internal migration. The city grew largely spontaneously. Today Karachi ranks 13th in the list of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world.
Although Karachi lost the status of the capital of Pakistan in 1961, the city remained the commercial and economic center. Around 20 percent of the gross domestic product is generated in Karachi. A large part of the foreign trade is carried out via the port. At the same time, an estimated five million people live in informal settlements and slums. The under-five mortality rate is 12 percent, making it one of the highest in Asia.
Again and again the wars in neighboring Afghanistan spill over the national borders, Karachi is a transshipment point for weapons and drugs. In the 1980s and 1990s, ethnic tension raged across the city and violence continued. Today it is mainly Sunni and Shiite groups that are opposing each other. The extremely high crime rate makes Karachi citizens live in insecurity. With a new overall plan "Vision for Karachi 2030", urban development is now to be pushed forward, but the poor and unqualified could fall by the wayside.
- What does a Pell Grant look like
- If there is a mind, what about science
- Land with the best mobile game developers
- What are good apps like Duolingo
- How long will space last
- Why are the clearest dreams wet
- Are all bloggers and influencers fake
- Can you meditate while you are doing something
- What are some benefits of microdermabrasion
- Should I start taking actuarial exams?
- Know the way from Uganda
- What are some nice close-ups
- How do I become a BMW engineer?
- Gender inequality is growing these days
- Who would win the Necrons or the Flood
- How are RTS games AI designed
- What is FT Logging Traffic in VMware
- What is the future of gambling
- Is it bad to be manipulated?
- How the earth is deteriorating day by day
- Started DNA as a parasite
- What is the value of the resistance to earth
- What is the strangest sounding instrument
- How can I make a security camera
- What is considered atypical depression
- Can baby croets live alone
- How can we download LabVIEW for free
- What is the story of muhammad
- What were Tolstoy's novels about?
- Is Special K healthy
- What was Jeff Buckley's personal life like
- Which drugs cross the blood-brain barrier?
- What do you think of JS