Can kill nail polish dogs

Toxic chemicals and household items that can poison dogs

Substances that can harm your dog

Most homes contain dangerous chemicals and corrosive substances that can be toxic to dogs. Most people know better than to come into contact with the most dangerous chemicals. Just as parents need to protect their children from household toxins, dog owners also need to protect their dogs.

Many chemicals can be harmful to dogs if ingested, inhaled, or in contact with the skin. In some cases, chemicals can enter the bloodstream and affect important organs.

Certain chemicals are thought to be safe for humans but can still harm dogs.

Pay very close attention to the products you use in your garden and at home. Try switching to products that are known to be safe for pets. When treating your yard with chemicals, make sure that your dog does not have access to the yard until it is dry (and that the chemical is safe after drying) The same goes for carpet cleaners and cleaners that are used on other surfaces that your dog may walk on.

Toxic ingredients for dogs

The following substances are commonly found in and around the home and pose a high risk of toxicity to dogs:

  • Antifreeze: Ethylene glycol is the toxic chemical in antifreeze. Unfortunately, this is a common poison in dogs. They taste good, but even very small amounts are highly toxic. Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning come on quickly and can be quickly fatal.
  • Battery acid: This very dangerous chemical can irritate and ulcerate the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract
  • Bleach: This chemical is corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful
  • Drain cleaner: This is also corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful
  • Drugs and Medicines: These include prescription, over-the-counter, and illegal / recreational drugs; Effects depend on the type of drug ingested and the amount; Toxicity can easily lead to death
  • Fertilizer: Some fertilizers, depending on the type, can irritate the skin and feet if your dog comes in contact with them, especially before it is dry. It can also be harmful if ingested.
  • Glue: Many types of glue are dangerous and cause poisoning, skin and mucosal irritation, and gastrointestinal obstruction; Gorilla Glue is perhaps one of the worst
  • Herbicides: Like herbicides, herbicides can irritate your dog's feet and skin if he walks through them, especially if it's still wet; Your dog may experience toxic effects if swallowed
  • Household cleaners and detergents: Depending on the chemical, these can be dangerous if swallowed, inhaled or in contact with the skin
  • Kerosene: Corrosive to skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful
  • Engine oil: Some people may have heard of motor oil, which is used as a "home remedy" for mange, but it is absolutely not true! No way Put motor oil on your dog. It is harmful to the skin and dangerous when ingested. It can easily kill a dog.
  • Mulch with cocoa bean husks: This type of mulch is a tasty and dangerous snack for dogs. Effects are the same as chocolate toxicity.
  • Nail polish / nail polish remover (acetone): Corrosive to skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful; Nail polish can be stuck on the hair
  • Paints, varnishes, lacquers, sealants, stains: Corrosive to skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful; can also dry on fur and be difficult to remove
  • Paint thinner and brush cleaner (white spirit, turpentine, etc.): Corrosive to skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract; Vapors are potentially harmful
  • Pesticides: Like herbicides and fertilizers
  • Rat poison : Unfortunately, rodenticide toxicity is a common poison in dogs. Rat poison is extremely toxic when ingested. NEVER use rat poison in or around your home.
  • Salts (especially rock salt / sidewalk salt) and other de-icers: These can irritate dogs' skin and feet; also potentially harmful if ingested.

This is not an exhaustive list of household toxins. Remember that anything in or around your home can pose a risk to your dog.

Educate yourself about product safety before you buy and use it. Try to use as many pet-safe products as possible. Keep dangerous items where your dog absolutely cannot find them, and keep in mind that some dogs are destructive to getting into prohibited areas. Keep your dog away from areas that have recently been sprayed with cleaners, fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides (many are safe after drying, but find out which ones are safe and only use them).

What To Do If Your Dog Is Poisoned

If your dog is exposed to poison, act immediately. Call your veterinarian immediately; Don't wait for symptoms. NEVER induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a veterinarian. Corrosive substances can be even more harmful when they rise up than they go down.

In case of toxin exposure, keep a list of important phone numbers in an easily accessible place. Make sure pet sitters and other people in the home know the location of the list. The following phone numbers should be included:

  1. Your chief vet
  2. One or more 24-hour veterinary clinics nearby
  3. ASPCA Gift Control: (888) 426-4435 (charge applies but free for Home Again subscribers)
  4. Pet Poison Hotline: 800-213-6680 (for a fee)
  5. An emergency contact number for you and your dog's co-owner (if applicable).