How can we read faster
Reading Faster: Tips for Speed Reading
Humans take on up to 80 percent of their knowledge Texts on - despite radio and television. Reading educates - but it takes time. How long do you read a day? One hour, two, four? Still, do you have the feeling that it is getting more and more? Welcome to the club! Around 75 percent of Germans already complain about an oversupply of information, according to a study by the foundation Read. You read and read and still fear missing out on important things. No wonder: The amount of digital information is growing by almost 60 percent annually - twice as fast as it was a few years ago. Two ways to handle this are: filtering - and read faster, also Speed reading called…
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
What are the advantages of Spead Reading?
There are tremendous advantages to being able to read faster. The Reading speed can be increased by up to 50 percent.
Imagine what you can do in that time. If you just have two thirds of the time need to be able to capture a text, you can process completely different amounts of texts.
This is particularly useful for learners and wherever people meet in a very short time Need to acquire knowledge and have little time for it.
But saving time is not the only one advantage:
- You can read a textbook at the same time twice read and thus internalize it better.
- You read essential more focused and don't wander in thought.
- Keep you more of the content.
- you check the flood of information stronger.
- You will be through speed reading less tired than from normal reading.
- They have less stress in learning in studies and work.
Speed Reading (also Fast reading you may not need it if you are comfortably leafing through a novel. But it is suitable where you can find one Information overload are exposed to texts - i.e. at work, during studies.
Therefore benefit particularly Self-employed, managers, employees and speed reading students.
Speed reading is not only useful for reading faster. It also helps with that Wheat chaff to separate: Often we only need core information and around it in the text is, so to speak, information garbage.
The faster you read, the more likely you'll hide this junk, that is, just that Important get stuck.
Learning speed reading: is it even possible?
Indeed you can Read fast learn. This has even been scientifically proven. But first you have to understand what is going on in reading happens in the brain. There are essentially three phases:
- The eye perceives a word or part of a sentence and creates a so-called pattern from the patterns Typeface. This process is still unconscious.
- The typeface is now in the mind set to music. Effect: the voice in the ear. At the same time, the gray cells check whether they know the word.
- Everything the reader knows about the word is now deliberately recalled from memory. Several areas of the brain work together - including those for feelings or experiences. Verbs especially stimulate the frontal lobe, pictorial Nouns particularly activate the temporal lobes.
This also makes it clear: The more a text speaks to us emotionally and moves us, the more active the upper room and the faster we can process and memorize the text.
Speed Reading Techniques: Tips On How To Read Faster
So in order for us to read faster, we have to be interested in the text. Stimulus words help, numbers or ask, how…
- What will the information give me use?
- How will that be for me in life help?
If the text does not do this automatically, you should at least briefly write it down beforehand overfly and look for such stimuli. They are like anchor points as you read later and keep your focus on that Expectation and thus also the level of feeling high.
This method is particularly suitable for Non-fiction or Press articles.
With this one selective or diagonal reading look for the information that is relevant to you and save yourself the clutter around it.
There are readers who generally forego the introduction and the Punchline and only read the middle part of a story. Although this is less enjoyable to read, it reduces the effort.
Brake pads are also removed from the way: colorful ones images, great headlines - all of this magically attracts the eye and keeps distracting.
Effect: That Reading speed falters. But if you have noticed them beforehand, they become uninteresting. The pace is increasing.
Who wants to read fast, but above all it has to accelerate the three brain processes mentioned above:
- On the one hand, by exercising, read Stop muttering words, the so-called Subvocalize. The words are then only perceived visually. If you can do that, you can read up to 50 times faster, according to researchers at the Japanese National Institute of Information and Comunications Technology in Tokyo.
- Second, by trying no longer fixing individual words, but entire parts of sentences or blocks of words and take pictures. Our eyes can manage up to four words at a time. Slow readers, on the other hand, often jump back on what they have already read. That takes time, but does little to improve understanding.
- Third, by doing that Jump back, the so-called Regression, avoid. You can do this with a trick. Imagine you're watching a fast-paced action film: you can't rewind it either.
This becomes particularly clear in so-called Tongue twisters. Here is an example of word-for-word reading:
If you can read the sentence word for word, you need for it around seven seconds. If you mumble along and pay attention to correct pronunciation, you are guaranteed to jump back several times and it will take twice as long. At least.
Who, however, only the first two words and maybe the fishes captured, comes double to triple so quickly through the text. Because the brain automatically completes the rest:
What other tricks you can use:
- Try to copy texts the first time only to skim roughly or read across. In a second step, you can mark important words with a marker or pencil.
- Write down on a separate piece of paper unclear terms, Specialist vocabulary and the like. If you look it up while reading, it costs too much precious time. One or the other still likes each other anyway out of context surrender. You can look up the rest in the evening and memorize it overnight.
- Try the pomodoro technique. Imagine one Alarm clock or the smartphone and set yourself a deadline. Who with specific Deadlines works, is forced to grasp things quickly and is not easily distracted.
Speed Reading Exercises: A Simple Fast Reading Trick
Try the Detection exercise: Use a piece of paper to cover it and some text. Ideally, you should start with a simple text with manageable sentences.
Now cover the text with the sheet of paper completely off, only ventilate them very fleetingly top Row. Until you have recorded the sentence or line. Then go on to the next line and so on.
The whole point of this exercise is to get you used to being a sentence right away Whole instead of reading it word for word as usual.
The limits of fast reading
But fast reading also has disadvantages: If you skim texts in this way, you should only do a maximum of 45 minutes read like this at a time. After that you need a break, otherwise you won't keep anything.
Only through this pause and processing arise new neural connections and information becomes stored knowledge.
Furthermore, it should be noted critically that the method is on the one hand for Frequent readers as is ideal for students, on the other hand a great one vocabulary Requires: Speed reading seminars like to use popular literature to tricks.
To grasp the content right away is of course a completely different caliber than having to incorporate scientific texts.
First of all, it depends on the Sentence structure together, which is much simpler in the exercise texts such as newspaper articles or extracts from novels.
On the other hand, the academic literature of the universities is peppered with specialist vocabulary, which means that the texts are essential more complex and consequently it takes a reader longer to understand them.
Speed reading takes time
If the initially hoped for success does not materialize, stay tuned. It is quite normal that you did not fully understand a text the first time you read it. It takes many Relationships in the brainthat are built up gradually.
It works better the second time you read it, you will slowly gain an understanding of it Terms and context develop. And the third time you will have already captured 70 to 90 percent of the text.
If you get tired in between, then you read too slowly. Or the other way around: If you read too slowly, you tire more quickly.
There is a trick you can use to save yourself: lie down for 15 to 20 minutes (not anymore!) and do a little Break. After that you are much more energetic and not only can read faster again, but you can also take the time out again.
Even if only speed reading is up conditionally suitable for difficult texts, you have an enormous advantage as a fast reader: it is always sufficient for everyday texts such as e-mails. And unlike the normal-paced reader, you have choicewhether you want to read quickly or slowly.
PS: Incidentally, it took you around four minutes to read this text ...
Other readers will find these articles interesting
- Do you suffer from joint pain
- When does thriller become horror in books?
- Why are SQL injections still a threat
- What are the essential aspects of the economy
- What is the second largest prime number
- What is a non-core tension
- What keeps the universe from falling
- How many valence electrons does scandium have
- Why the salt water behaves in the sea
- What is drop foot
- Why has Islam changed? A wrong version
- Paper battery technology
- WordPress is only used for content management
- What does it take to have charisma
- Why someone would feel sinful after masturbating
- What if I ate uranium
- Is the IQ inversely proportional to humility
- Suggest some good pelican flash lights
- Which is the cheapest portable projector
- What brand makes good quality chinos
- Fingernails are dead
- What are hearing aids
- Which are the famous marketplaces in Khammam
- How does Whatchamacallit Candy taste