Is the sea polluted
What threatens our seas
Our seas are in danger. Pollution, overfishing, warming and acidification are just some of the issues that affect the ocean as a habitat. The consequences not only endanger life in the water, but also change the climate on land. We have dealt with the essential threats.
Around 18,000 plastic parts float in the sea per square kilometer.
Deliberate seawater pollution
Huge rubbish carpets whirl through the oceans in the carousel of ocean currents. Birds stick together to form black lumps of oil. Marine animals nibble their way to death on colorful toys and line up as a poisonous link in the food chain.
Pesticides, herbicides, artificial fertilizers, detergents, sewage, oil and vast amounts of plastic particles and other solids turn our oceans into hazardous waste dumps. An estimated 675 tons of garbage end up in the ocean every hour, half of which is plastic.
There are now up to 18,000 plastic parts per square kilometer of sea. A carpet of rubbish the size of Texas, the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch", is floating in the North Pacific vortex between North America and Asia. It wasn't until 2010 that another giant garbage island was discovered in the Atlantic Ocean. They are memorials of centuries of ignorance.
In many cases, garbage and sewage end up in the sea via detours. Nitrogen-rich fertilizer from agriculture, for example, seeps into the groundwater or rivers and thus flows towards the sea. There it stimulates the algae growth and these in turn remove all oxygen from the water. What remains are so-called death zones: 400 of these oxygen-poor or even oxygen-free and therefore lifeless areas are already known.
In addition to the physical, there is the “acoustic pollution” of the oceans: the humming of ships, drilling for oil and the sound of sonar devices impair communication, orientation and reproduction of large marine mammals. Whales, researchers observe, try to counter the noise level with louder shouts. But the sound pressure of sonar technology can damage the brain and circulation of marine mammals so badly that they lose their orientation and get stranded.
- Is your father proud of your mother
- Are all Sufis Muslims
- If an AC unit draws in outside air
- Does the post need a stamp
- Why doesn't YouTube have the Next Play button?
- How do dolphins eat plankton
- How can autocratic leadership be avoided
- Makes Amazon ads for language
- What does Terminix do for mice
- What is the average cost of living in Australia
- What will concrete break down
- What types of heat capacity are there
- Birth control can lead to missed periods
- What is the best course after PHP
- How do I compress video files
- Will lead Jorah Heartsbane
- What is a pathogenic endospore forming bacteria
- Convertibles What are they
- What are logically equivalent statements
- There will be religion after 1000 years
- How did you blackmail someone?
- What's the strangest paranormal experience
- What is eclectic home decor
- Was BTS Boy With Luv a flop