Why headlights are yellow
Are yellow headlights actually allowed on the car?
- Home page
In Germany headlights are only allowed to shine white. There is a reason for that. © Tobias Hase
Yellow instead of white: not all cars on German roads shine in the same color. Who is allowed to do what ?, you ask yourself as a driver. The Tüv Nord clears up.
Sometimes cars with yellowish headlights can be seen in traffic. As a rule, however, these are not cars registered in Germany, explains Tüv Nord.
In this country, according to Paragraph 50, Paragraph 1 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO), only white lights for high and low beam have always been used.
This rule does not apply to headlights that are not used to illuminate the road. For example, according to the StVZO, vehicles may be equipped with two fog lights for “white or light yellow light” (Paragraph 52, Paragraph 1). The yellowish vehicle lighting is the «fog light yellow» or «selective yellow», the property of which is defined in standards in Europe and the USA.
In rain, snowfall or fog, yellow light reduces the glare, but at the same time distorts the colors perceived by the driver. Yellow headlights, which used to be common in some neighboring European countries, are therefore no longer permitted for new vehicles according to EU regulations. Older vehicles can, however, continue to use yellow lighting that has already been installed.
New light technology in the car too bright?
Although incandescent lamps still light up in many cars, a lot has happened in the field of lighting technology for cars in recent years. After xenon headlights, lasers, LEDs and OLEDs are taking over the front.
LED headlights annoy drivers at night, according to a survey. Even the luminosity of new LED taillights is a thorn in the side of many motorists. Many drivers feel blinded by the light. The ADAC then tested the glare effect of LED taillights together with the Light Technology Institute (LTI) in Karlsruhe. The result is surprising.
dpa / tmn
- What does the Aspen Institute really do
- What blockchain applications are used today
- How am I supposed to see other people
- The government owns UPS
- Are pets happy
- Who is the leading power supply manufacturer
- Who changed Mendeleev's periodic law
- Why do mangoes turn black
- Can honey grow back lost hair
- What is the origin of corned beef
- Are lobsters just really big shrimp
- How do you say this in Spanish here
- What is a speaker elected by
- What has the hacktivist activist group Anonymous achieved?
- Why are people not monogamous
- Why use Emacs over Sublime Text
- Are you a designer yourself
- What normal place scares you
- What foods do Indians dislike?
- What are the extreme points of ISRO
- How Walgreens prevents shoplifting
- When should I use a roll-up roof?
- Is it okay to learn from mistakes?
- Is Luffy really stronger than Katakuri