Delhi Hostel is safe for women
India: Better a cow than a woman
Patriarchal social structure as the basis for discrimination
Ghosh started the project in New Delhi, the city that is considered the most dangerous city for women in India after Jodhpur. In 2015 there were over 1,800 reported rapes here. The number of unreported cases and the number of sexual assaults are estimated to be far higher. But Ghosh also wants to photograph women outside the capital with his cow mask. He is raising money in a crowdfunding campaign to travel to Mumbai, Bangalore, Kerala and northeast India. The first pictures of his trip are already online.
The role of women is discussed again and again in India. The patriarchal structure of society forms the basis for discrimination. But the country's division between tradition and modernity is also reflected in it, as the social scientist and author Geetanjali Shree told Tagesspiegel.de: "The new social discrepancies and pronounced competitive thinking overwhelm people and lead to pent-up anger. We are sitting on a powder keg that explodes into all forms of violence in a completely unpredictable manner. A deadly combination of the worst of the old and the new dehumanizes society." In their opinion, the best means of peaceful coexistence is education.
The most important actor on this path is arguably politics. It must be able to offer women equal rights and security. The Kumar presidency would be an opportunity to do this. But equality cannot succeed without a social rethink, and projects like Ghosh's are particularly important in order to continue to ensure that gender images in India are questioned.
Further women's rights projects in India
Numerous groups campaign for the rights of Indian women with projects and protests. The Why Loiter? Movement tries to regain male-dominated public space and to make women visible there again. The Pinjra Tod group campaigns against strict curfews in dormitories, rental apartments and hostels in Indian cities. It mainly affects young women who move to the city to study. The closure times are justified with the protection of women. There are no comparable regulations for men in dormitories.
- Will America's gun control laws be enforced at all?
- What attracts people to anarcho-capitalism
- Why did Walmart fail in China
- Is the Alibaba Cloud better than the Google Cloud
- How do I deal with grief
- Why are Bitcoin users mostly male?
- Should love be understood
- What are some examples of water logos
- Is God narcissistic
- How often do nasal polyps have to be operated on?
- Realistically, what is the reputation of SDSU
- Can you decipher the word UTEM?
- Online marriages are legal
- Where do we get transcripts from
- What does an archaeologist study
- What are some good French novels
- Narcissists show respect for the dead
- What is healthy eating at Starbucks
- Does a Pakistani city have a metrorail
- Which country has the best meatballs
- Who are the youngest performers?
- Why do I want to be unsure
- When should you stop the startup
- Why is it important to study RFCs