Why is scotch so expensive in India
By Manfred Rösch, "Finance and Economy"
Cricket and the "lingua franca" English, these two things hold India together. Thirdly, with some restrictions: whiskey, another heirloom of the British Raj. Only about a fifth of all people in the country are said to drink alcohol (Hinduism and Islam are not suited to it; some states, such as Gujarat, are officially "dry"), but that still adds up to around a quarter of a billion consumers. A huge market that is growing rapidly.
Because of the favorable demographic structure, tens of millions of potential customers are constantly being added, people who are turning 25 and are therefore legally allowed to tip one. More whiskey is enjoyed in India than in the united rest of the world. And also produced; Imported goods are expensive. Whereby «whiskey» is a flexible term: The production mostly does not correspond to European standards, because the local waters are often distilled from fermented molasses instead of barley malt or other grains. At best, such distillates are refined with a touch of real Scotch for advertising purposes.
A well-known brand is called 8PM - it shows the time from which to toast in Agra, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi etc. The day goes, 8PM comes.
This graphic first appeared in the print edition of “Finanz und Wirtschaft”. You can find all graphics in the “What matters” section here.
Keywords: alcohol, F&W, whiskey
Posted in General | 9 Comments »
- What did Aemon know about Daenerys
- Why is my bamboo plant dying
- How do I answer the following question
- What do you know about Microsoft Office
- What is the Best Automotive Franchise
- How is the FBI director appointed
- Lipid membranes can spontaneously form in liquids
- Why are industries doomed in Pakistan
- Is love an overrated social construct
- What is the best hotel in Oslo
- How is UPES for CSE
- What is the religion of saint john
- Are there homophobic parts in the Bible
- Is anyone still practicing Jainism?
- Why do a PhD after MCA
- How can I apply for a scholarship
- Who else uses ICQ to chat Why
- Was Jesus a madman
- How can I get angry
- Trump would win another election
- How can I create my own botnet
- Is it worth reading autobiographies
- What do startups give the donors
- Should an Ostomat attend an AA meeting
- What do you regret about Quora
- Can opiates lower high blood pressure?
- What do therapists study
- Jordan Peterson is a Freemason
- What is an Etuede
- What is a restricted storage unit RSU
- How did ISIS conquer Syria
- How can I manage a gym effectively
- Hates Sansa Stark Littlefinger