Are cat food cans recyclable?
Aluminum is obtained from the rock bauxite found in our earth. The silvery metal has a good barrier function with regard to oxygen, light and various environmental influences. At the same time, it is very light due to its low density.
These properties are used in the packaging industry and aluminum is used for the permanent protection of food, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and other sensitive substances.
Beverage cans, food tubes, pet food bowls, yoghurt lids - aluminum products reach the consumer for use.
Specially marked collection bins for aluminum products are available in almost all Swiss municipalities and cities. In addition to aluminum, tin cans are often collected in the same container.
The collected aluminum packaging goes to sorting plants. There they are separated from other foreign materials and for
the further processing made ready.
The recycling plants melt the aluminum scrap in an oven heated to around 800 degrees.
The melting point of aluminum is 660 degrees Celsius.
The aluminum melted in the furnace is now poured into aluminum bars that are as good as new.
The aluminum bars are rolled out at temperatures of around 500 degrees Celsius. The bars are rolled up into plates a few millimeters thick. In a second step, the panels can be rolled out to a thickness of up to 6 micrometers using a cold roller.
New aluminum products can now be manufactured from the aluminum sheets and foils.
To be collected:
- Beverage cans
- Food tubes
- Yogurt lid
- Menu and baking trays, household foil
- Pet food bowls
- small aluminum parts and all other packaging with the aluminum recycling logo
- Hair dye (aluminum tubes) *
- Creams (pots etc.) *
- Pastes (aluminum tubes) *
* Further information on the correct disposal of cosmetic packaging
- When one speaks of the aluminum collection, one often thinks of cans. Not to be forgotten, however, are the aluminum tubes, foils, trays and all other packaging with the official logo, which can also be 100% recycled.
- Compress the cans. This reduces the volume and thus also the transport costs.
- The material should be as clean as possible, i.e. squeeze out the tubes well, wash out the bowls, etc.
This group does not include:
- Components such as tube lids that are not made of aluminum
- Capsules made of aluminum have a specially marked collection container
- Composite packaging that only partially contains aluminum and mostly has a plastic-coated aluminum foil: soup and stocki bags, butter paper, ready meals, tetrapaks, tablet packaging, etc. (⇒ garbage)
- Spray cans: cosmetic, paint, oil and varnish spray cans (⇒ hazardous waste or garbage)
- heavy and large parts, curtain rails and rods (⇒ metal containers)
Further information in the Metalbag brochure "What belongs in the aluminum collection?" (multilingual)
Where is collected
In municipalities and cities, the aluminum is collected separately or together with the sheet steel packaging, depending on the collection system. However, capsules made of aluminum always have a separate and specially marked container. There are numerous IGORA collection bins that only collect aluminum, especially in public spaces.
Benefits of recycling
When recycling aluminum, compared to the initial production, nine kilograms of CO2 per kilogram of aluminum and up to 95% of the energy originally used are saved. In addition, it can be recycled infinitely often without any loss of quality. The production of secondary aluminum is also interesting from an economic point of view, because the global economy has long since ceased to be able to get by with primary aluminum.
Further information on the advantages of aluminum recycling in the article from Packaktuell "Aluminum cans ecologically at eye level"
The IGORA cooperative has been involved in collecting and recycling empty aluminum packaging since 1989. She advocates a steadily growing collection rate, which today is already 91% for aluminum cans.
More information about IGORA in the brochure "Collecting and recycling metal packaging"
If you would like to find out more about this separate collection, please visit the website of our member IGORA cooperative.
Tel. +41 (0) 44 387 50 10
Fax +41 (0) 44 387 50 11
- What was life like in Spain in the 1980s
- Who are the Star Wars rebels
- How do eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells differ
- Can someone be a DJ
- What app can Instagram followers give me
- How can Rahul Gandhi image be revised
- How can I get angry
- What is a definite integral
- What is the market size for MEMS oscillators
- Why use a bamboo toothbrush?
- All were veteran presidents officers
- What are you doing at Comic Con
- Will personal branding kill online spontaneity?
- Can I import butane?
- Is NO3 an ambident ligand
- How are the relations between the Scandinavian nations
- How do you make a potato farm
- IOS Jailbreaking What are SHSH blobs
- What is log x y
- Is Vladimir Putin the new Russian tsar?
- Can you eat salads without dressings?
- A long CSS selector is bad
- When do we get our BITSAT results
- What is quantum cooling
- How do I become vigilant and wise
- What is a high pressure rotary valve
- Overmasturbation causes schizophrenia
- Can vegans drink red wine
- A pumpkin is a vegetable
- What is the Seattle style coding
- Who would you call a real Godman
- What is the national tree of Mexico
- How is this magic done